Improving Performance in the Workplace with Nutra-Ergonomics
Nutra – Ergonomics is newly formed content involves the interface between workers, their work environment and performance in relation to their nutritional status. As we discussed before, the consequences of the relation of work-related hazards with mental stress. Let’s talk in detail about major health issues and its management through modifications in nutrition and physical activities.
We often wonder why there’s a lot of distress around us, be it physical, social or mental. The human being is a social animal and adorns the quality of being valued at each point of life. Are we even valued or valuing or forgot to even value our own self? In older times, people did take hardship and they were physically and mentally fit and nutrition was comparatively better. Improving performance in the workplace during this lockdown have roots in one’s healthy lifestyle. Almost majority of Indian food items come in adulterations or its nutritional component is insufficient for a person. Hence it leads to disturbance of Mind-Body Harmony and that can cause major health hazards. Stress is the biggest enemy in terms of disturbance of Mind-Body Harmony.
Factors Improving performance in the Workplace
- Lack of awareness and spreading of false information of nutritional values of any food items.
- Everyone considers themselves an ‘Expert’ into providing tips and tricks of diet considerations.
- The correct information not reaching the common people due to lack of awareness and fear of consulting a Dietician or a nutrition expert.
- Improper distribution of Portion sizes during the entire day that can lead to an imbalance of the nutrients.
- Erratic eating hours leading to disturbed bowel and bladder movements.
- Erratic working hours leading to Physical Inactivity due to Work from the Home scenario.
- Disturbed sleep patterns due to excessive use of devices.
Let’s first divide our main health hazards into 3 categories:
- Lower back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Upper Cross Syndrome
- Cardiovascular diseases like Myocardial Ischemia
- Diabetes Mellitus Type 2
- PCOD or PCOS in Females
- Vitamin D and Calcium deficiency
- Iron Deficiency Anemia
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Vitamin A Deficiency
Medical Conditions with the Increased Ergonomic Risk
Common Medical Conditions like Cardiovascular (Myocardial Ischemia, Hypertension), Metabolic (Diabetes Mellitus) and Hormonal Dysfunctions (PCOS– Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) have a common origin Stress. I have been constantly emphasizing on it because some of us here consider the work as the integral part of their lives knowing the fact that it’s equally important to manage our expenses but forget to balance it well with your relations around. The imbalance of Work and Personal Space can lead to disturbance in the mental and social well-being. Along with it, proper nutrition is not taken into consideration. Improper intake of Water leading to constipation and thereby increasing the risk of other health issues. The portion size of the meal is not correctly divided that can also lead to increased health hazards. Some of them even skip their meals just to complete their work, that’s even riskier than having a pack of Cigarettes.
Research on Nutra-Ergonomics effects on an Employee’s Productivity has been globally stated. Some of the tips of a balanced diet has been likewise mentioned below.
- Carbohydrates: 1-3 servings per day (In form of Thepla, Upma, Poha, Bhakri) Rich Source: Rice, Jowar, Bajra, Nachni, Fruits and Vegetables all include complex carbohydrates
- Proteins: 2-3 Servings per day(In form of Breakfast) Rich Source – Pulses like Chana, Moong, Rajma, Chole, Soya Bean/Soya Chunk. Chicken Breast – Protein per 100g serving of chicken, Egg – Protein per 100 g, Fish – Protein per 100 g
- Fats: Our bodies only need a certain amount of fat each day, any extra that is consumed is stored in fat tissue and contributes to weight gain. A moderate amount of MUFA may help to reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol and may be beneficial in the management of blood and heart diseases. Rich Sources: Groundnut oil, Ricebran Oil, Canola Oil.
- Vitamin E: Potent Antioxidant and modulate the immune functions. Rich Sources – Sunflower seeds, Pistachio, Safflower seeds, Halim/ Garden cress seeds, Almonds, Flaxseeds.
- Vitamin C: contributes to immune defence by supporting various cellular functions of both innate and adaptive immune systems. Rich Source: Amla (Gooseberries), Guava, Capsicum, Orange, Raw Mango, Red amaranth leaves.
- Zinc: Crucial for normal development and Function of Immune Cells. Rich Source: Cereals, Dals and Pulses, Soybean, Black Sesame seeds, Nuts and Oilseeds, Chicken, Eggs
- Iron: Crucial for producing Haemoglobin and helps in building up the immunity system. Beetroot, Broccoli, Spinach, Potato, Watermelon, Apples, Pomegranate, Strawberries, Prawns, Mackerel, Whole Grains
- Vitamin A: Improves Eyesight. Rich Source: Carrots, Pumpkin, Egg, Chicken Breast, Green Leafy vegetables, Mackerel
Tips to Improve the Absorption of Nutrients
- The setting of Proper timings of eating: Breakfast: Best time – 7-8 am not later than 10 am. It is the most important meal of the day, giving your brain & body the energy it needs to function before beginning daily tasks. Lunch: Best time – 12-2 pm not later than 3 pm. It is ideally better posts 4 hours of consuming lunch, to maintain blood glucose levels. Dinner: Best Time- 6-8 pm Not later than 9 pm. Eat Dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed to promote optimal sleep and efficient use of calories.
- Balance is the key to portion control – Too much or too little are both bad.
- Avoid Mindless Eating – Make meals and snacks the focus of attention. Tune into your food; from its tastes, textures, aromas and its appearance.
- Practice Visualization – 1 serving of meat, fish, or poultry measure about the palm of your hand, 1 serving of nuts handful, and 1 serving of fruit measures the size of a tennis ball.
Improving Performance in the workplace come from Mind-Body Harmony. It defies the component where the individual has the capability of accepting, destroying the old beliefs, recreating the new and embracing whatever comes to them.